Beware of Asian Giant Hornets!

We have had dealings with Giant Asian Hornets today, after we discovered a large nest on the side of C Block. It was out of sight of windows, but after a Pupil got stung this morning, it meant Sam had his drone out, trying to find the location of the nest. The Pupil was treated at the scene for Anyphlaxis, which is a severe allergic reaction that can be fatal; if not treated quickly. I am on the “Response Team”, which deals with First Aid Emergencies and was 1st in the scene. In my “Grab and Run Bag”, I have Epi-Pens, which are automatic adrenaline injectors. The Pupil was taken to hospital and has now returned safely to school this evening. It could of been alot worse, if he had of been out of sight of staff.

If you are stung or someone you know is stuck and suffer from a severe allergic reation, act quickly, as a severe allergic reaction can quickly kill! Here is what to do:

  • Remain calm
  • Loosen clothing from around the neck
  • Ask someone to call an ambulance (dial 999 or 112) and state the patient is having an Anapylaxic reaction
  • If the casualty has a Epi Pen, use it: Release the cap, form a fist around the epi-pen, push the epi-pen through the casualty’s thigh, until it clicks
  • Hold the Epi-Pen in place for 10 seconds
  • If the patient stops breathing, begin CPR at once.
  • If the Epi-Pen has no effect, repeat if the casualty has another Epi-Pen
  • If you have access to Oxygen, give oyxgen at 100%
  • Roll the casualty into the recovery position and monitor until help arrives

After this incident, Karen and Sam decided to call a “Wet Break” at lunchtime, to make sure no one else got stung. With Hornets buzzing about C Block, all windows in C Block remained closed. Sam immediately got a professional out, to deal with the nest, which has now been destroyed.

So beware of the little blighters, they can be nasty and even deadly when they attack!